Thursday, October 27, 2011

Gray-Banded Kingsnake

The article I read was "Royal Reptiles" by Gerold and Cindy Merker in the REPTILES Magazine of April 2008. I chose this reptile article because the only thing I knew about the Gray-Banded Kingsnake was that they have gray bands, so I wanted to learn more about them. I liked that this article told almost evrything you would need to know about Gray-Banded Kingsnakes if you were to own or breed them. The article told good tips if I ever felt like getting one or breeding gray-banded kingsnakes. I also liked the pictures the article provided for me so I know what the two morphs are of this snake. I learned a lot reading this article, for example I learned they are found in New Mexico, Texas, and Northern Mexico. The Gray-Banded Kingsnake in pet trades are from Texas because their protected from collection in New Mexico and Mexico. With proper care, they canl ive up to 20 years! I also learned that putting a damp paper towel on top of the eggs one or two weeks before they are due will soften the eggs before hatching. So the hatchling has btter success cutting through the egg shell with their egg tooth. I deffinetely would want to purchase one because they are cool looking and hold an almost mythical appeal to countless herpetoculturists for the past 30 years. You can buy a hatchling for $100 at www.Exoticpetslv.com, and captive bred hatchlings for $119 at http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/kingsnakes/gray-banded-king-snake-for-sale.html. This snake has two color morphs, the "blairi phase" pattern and the "alterna phase".

 "Blairi Phase"

 "Alterna Phase"
They are not endangered in the wild, and not too hard to take care of. What I found interesting about these snakes are their color morphs.

No comments:

Post a Comment